Geneva is the capital of the canton of Geneva and is the second largest city in Switzerland. On a clear day from almost anywhere in Geneva, you will have a breathtaking view of Mont Blanc in the distance. It is a beautiful city full of history, great food and shopping, wonderful museums and was voted 3rd out of the top 25 cities, as the best place to live in the world according to Business Week Magazine, April 2009 edition.
Fifteen years ago, this November 3rd, my husband and I were fortunate to fly to Geneva 2 days after our wedding for a "2nd wedding" party with relatives and friends in Europe. We had a few days to ourselves to explore the city and some of the highlights from our time in Geneva were as follows:
1. A visit to the Flower Clock in the Jadrin Anglais and the wonderful views of Jet d'Eau on Lake Geneva.
2. A stroll through the many shops and sights in Old Town, including where this photo above was taken of these gorgeous bridal gowns.
3. A visit to the following museums: Musee d'Art et d'Histoire, Musee International de la Croix-Rouge (Red Cross Museum) and the Palais des Nations.
4. Our favorite and most memorable was a visit to the Monument de la Reformation which was built in 1917 representing John Knox, Theodore de Beze, John Calvin and Guillaume Farel, the 4 Genevese reformers. Other statues featured included Cromwell, and the Pilgrim Fathers, Luther and Zwingli.
5. Our time was short but on the next trip we plan to take a tour to Mont Blanc. Tours run daily during the summer and depart about 8am returning about 5pm.
Additionally, it is very easy to take a boat tour to Lausanne, Ouchy, or Montreux, or if your time allows, you can continue on to just outside Montreux and visit Chateau de Chillon, immortalized by Lord Byron.
There are many great values for summer and winter travel to Switzerland. It's a gorgeous country and will literally take your breath away.
Give me a call or email and I am glad to assist with your travel bookings. By the way, I am a certified Switzerland specialist and have been almost everywhere in this gorgeous country!